Fortsätt till huvudinnehåll

Pucks last words in A Midsummer Night's Dream, Act V, Scene I - and Commentary

The Monk by the Sea, Caspar David Friedrich

 

If we shadows have offended,

Think but this, and all is mended,

That you have but slumber'd here

While these visions did appear.

And this weak and idle theme,

No more yielding but a dream,

Gentles, do not reprehend:

if you pardon, we will mend:

And, as I am an honest Puck,

If we have unearned luck

Now to 'scape the serpent's tongue,

We will make amends ere long;

Else the Puck a liar call;

So, good night unto you all.

Give me your hands, if we be friends,

And Robin shall restore amends.


Commentary

We all have times which afterwards felt deeply special. These stanzas have a special meaning in my life. What is Puck talking about?

For me, it is a state of mind. A commentry about reentry into ordinary felt time. Exit special time. We offend shadows, perhaps? The stanzas sometimes haunt me.




Kommentarer

Den här kommentaren har tagits bort av skribenten.

Popular

Prose fragment (commentary)

Self?

Different viewpoints on interiority